Tri-M Music Honor Society opens up a world of opportunities for students who have already shown themselves to be academically capable and musically gifted. Through performance and community service, they’ll develop confidence, creativity, critical thinking, compassion, and a host of other leadership skills sure to serve them well in school and beyond.
The Tri-M Music Honor Society is a program of NAfME which focuses on creating future leaders in music education and music advocacy. Tri-M is the only national honor society for student musicians in grades 6-12. There are more than 1,800 chapters across all 50 states, involving more than 75,000 students. Marple Newtown holds the charter to Chapter #764. Mr. Vogel is the Tri-M adviser and can answer your questions about membership, service opportunities and volunteering.
This year’s officers are:
President – Jason Li
Vice President – Rachel Horn
Secretary / Historian – Danny Eldabass
Treasurer / Social – Joshua Myers
Marple Newtown High School – Chapter #764
GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS
How much time must I commit?
Chapter Meetings occur on the First Monday Afternoon of each month at 2:45 p.m. for all returning members and all nominees. Students must participate in other projects throughout the school year, as they are able. All members and nominees must participate in the Induction Ceremony in May. This chapter Induction is the only mandatory commitment for members. Students who are not able to make this commit to this event should reconsider membership in the society. Students with conflicts or concerns about their commitment should contact the Mr. Vogel for guidance before applying.
Requirements for New Members
The chapter has no membership quota or limit: Students who meet the criteria, and are interested, can become a member! There are specific criteria that NEW members (nominees) must fulfill in order to become a member, including:
- They must be a sophomore, junior, or senior in the current school year.
- They must have enrolled in a music ensemble and/or class for at least one semester the current school year at Marple Newtown High School;
- They must have a minimum of 8 points in music activities.
- Band, Choir, Orchestra and AP Music Theory count as 1 for each year of participation.
- Marching Band, Select Choir, Jazz Band, Select Strings, Indoor Percussion, and Indoor Guard count as 1 for each year of participation.
- Music Theory, Music Production, Music Business, Musical Theater, Guitar 1 & 2, Piano 1 & 2, Jazz Lab Band classes count as .5 per semester of enrollment.
- Private Lessons count as .5 per semester of participation. A minimum of 9 total hours and a minimum of 9 total lessons per semester is required with a private teacher’s signature.
- They must exhibit leadership, service, and character in their activities while at Marple Newtown High School.
- They must have maintained for the previous semester at least a 93 average grade or equivalent in performing arts classes, and maintain at least an 85 average grade or equivalent in other academic subjects.
- They must have a minimum of 40 hours of volunteer music service.
Must submit a copy of the third marking period report card indicating:
a. 93% music class average
b. 85% overall GPA
c. 5 or fewer absences
d. 4 or fewer tardies
Must have no record of suspensions or school discipline.
Music Faculty reviews all candidate applications. Nominees will be officially notified of acceptance through email and will become a member after attending the Induction Ceremony. Parents, Friends and Family may attend the Ceremony.
Requirements for Renewing Members (not applicable this year)
The chapter has no membership quota or limit: Returning Members who want to continue as a member are encouraged to renew.
Returning members must fulfill these criteria in order to renew membership:
- Must be a current member of Tri-M in good standing.
- Must be a junior or senior in this fall.
- Must be currently enrolled in a music class for the current school year.
- Must have no record of suspensions, and no more than 4 tardies and 5 days absent without a medical note for the entire current school year and maintain a 93% average in music classes and an overall 85% or better GPA.
- Must have completed a minimum of 40 hours of volunteer service.
Music Faculty reviews all renewal applications. Nominees will be officially notified of acceptance through email and will become member attending the Induction Ceremony. Parents, Friends and Family may attend the ceremony.